photo milkbubbleteadraft_zps63a96196.png

Monday, May 04, 2015

ALEXANDER MCQUEEN - SAVAGE BEAUTY EXHIBITION

At the start of last month, I visited the Victoria & Albert Museum to see the Alexander McQueen exhibition. I have had my tickets booked since last July, so I was really excited to finally get to see it for myself. Alexander McQueen has always been my favourite designer, there is just something about his work that is so unique and imaginative. I studied Fashion Business at University, so his work has always been my first point of inspiration. Savage Beauty first opened at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York in 2011, so I’m glad the British designers work finally came on show in London, it was definitely like a home-coming. I have seen some of his work first hand before at different exhibitions such as the Isabella Blow exhibition at Somerset House, but I was completely blown away by Savage Beauty.
We entered the exhibition to see a wall with just Lee Alexander McQueen’s face, the same image on the Met’s Savage Beauty book. We then walked through his early creations like his Saville Row tailoring right up to his final work. We then went into a room filled floor to ceiling with different garments such as Philip Treacy head pieces to shoes, to bags to dresses, with the famous 1999 spray-painted dress spinning in the centre. You just didn’t know where to look first as there were so many amazing pieces, we had to make our way to all four corners to make sure we had seen everything. Most of his work is focused around ideas about race, class, sexuality, religion and the environment and I love how he wanted women to be dressed. The only annoying thing about the exhibition was it was so jam packed full of people that it was hard to move, which was a shame as you couldn’t spend as much time as you’d like looking in one area. But obviously it was that popular as April was sold out of tickets. The exhibition included videos and images as well as his garments themselves. The exhibition finished on his last collection Spring/Summer 2010 'Plato's Atlantis' which in my opinion is his best and most inspiring work. I think that the exhibition was portrayed really well and I’m so glad I got to see it for myself. I would even be tempted to visit again as I was so overwhelmed by the amount of things to take in. I purchased the exhibition hardback book and limited edition Harper's Bazaar magazine. If you get the chance to visit I would definitely recommend a trip the exhibition is on till August, tickets are still available here.
Will you be visiting Savage Beauty?
you can also find me on twitterinstagrambloglovin or pinterest

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment